I love snacking on
cakes, chocolate, sugary stuff yummy treats that are wholesome.
They fill me up and fuel the body with essential nutrients required when the training load is full.
Meg is a guru at creating little treats and sharing them with the Ironchicks community. She has shared her Banana Bread recipe with us already and now she is sharing her Nut’n’Fancy bars……and they are fancy! While they might be called “fancy” they’re actually quite easy to make.
Thanks Meg, we all look forward to testing them out 🙂
These bars are a winner! I like the idea that I can use whatever seeds, nuts and fruit I have at home. The combinations are endless. I love having these bars on long rides or as a back up between sessions. They’re simple to make and they taste delicious. Make them ahead of time and individually wrap them.
Best of all, they’re Gluten free, soy free, egg free and dairy free. Swap the honey for agave if you want them vegan friendly.
Nut’n Fancy Bars
- 1 cup organic puffed rice or gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup seeds (sesame, sunflower, pepita)
- 1 cup raw nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds)
- 1 cup dried fruit (sultanas, currants, diced dates, apricots, apple)
- 1/2 cup organic shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup organic honey, melted.
- 3/4 cup organic tahini
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup almond meal or LSA
- Place the puffed rice/oats, seeds, nuts, fruit and coconut in the food processor and combine until broken down into small chunks.
- Mix the melted honey into the tahini and slowly pour into the dry ingredients. Mix together.
- Add in the LSA or almond meal until the mixture comes together. Go by how it feels – you may need to add more than 1/3 cup.
- Spread the mixture into prepared pan (slice tin works well) and refrigerate for one hour before cutting with a hot knife.
- Wrap bars individually to use in training or as a snack on the go.
THANKS Meg and good luck cooking Ironchicks. Let us know how you go with this recipe!
Happy training all x